Should you go for a pocket sprung or open coil mattress?
Shopping for mattresses is not as easy as you think as most people lack the basic information about mattresses and they can get confused regarding which type of mattress they should get for themselves. If you invest your money in the wrong product, then it is going to be a long-term headache for you and you will have to regret later. So, here we are with a quick guide that will help you to learn more about open coil mattresses and pocket sprung mattresses. This will in turn help you in understanding which kind of mattress is going to be the best for you.
What is an open coil mattress?
An open coil mattress is an extremely common mattress in the market. They are cheap mattresses and are quite appropriate for regular use. They are known in the market by various names including continuous coil mattress, helical spring mattress and a lot more. They are made up of long single wire coiled firmly. This looks like a huge number of springs that are connected to each other. There is no independent movement between the springs. These kinds of mattresses are made by machine and very little man force is involved. This is the reason why open coil mattresses have a lower cost.
Pros of open coil mattresses:
- They are lightweight and quite easy to transport.
- They are firm mattresses and are recommended for people having poor posture issues and back pain.
- They are pocket-friendly and will come within a budget.
Cons of open coil mattresses:
- They do not have a really good durability and their lifespan is low.
- The mattresses may bounce at times.
- There are huge gaps in between the springs causing discomfort.
What is a pocket sprung mattress?
Pocket sprung mattresses are of really good quality. They are made up of a huge number of individual springs and the strings allow independent movement. They provide excellent support. The springs are also coiled in a systematic way. These mattresses are stuffed with organic as well as synthetic matter and they allow even distribution of body weight.
Pros of pocket sprung mattress:
- They do not bounce like the open coil mattresses.
- They allow the body weight to be distributed properly.
- They provide you with extreme comfort.
- They have a very long lifespan because of their strong foundation.
Cons of pocket spring mattress:
- They cause allergic reactions because of the presence of organic matter.
- These mattresses are heavy and are not easy to transport.
- They are not very budget-friendly.
Hopefully, we were able to bring out the differences between pocket sprung and open coil mattresses. When it comes to a good quality mattress, we expect our mattress to be of good quality, durable, comfortable and budget-friendly. So, if you have a really good budget, then you should opt for pocket sprung mattresses as they are more comfortable. However, if you are on a tight budget, an open coil mattress can be quite appropriate for you.